I tried this the other day, with a recipe that definitely has my husband's seal of approval: Mema's Absolutely Flippin' Fantastic Banana Bread. **Mema always has a loaf of this on hand, I swear her freezer is full of 'em!** For my little experiment, I made two loaves; one was the awesome/fabulous/man pleasing original, the other was Jen's Secret Kinda Sorta Better For You Version.
Here's what you're gonna need.
|Note the two ingredients on the far right...they're top/man-secret|
For the original:
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla (I'm pretty generous with this, like 2-3(ish)
- 1.5 cups mashed bananas (3 medium sized)
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
|The brown stuff is vanilla, not a turd|
|Grease the pan! It's your friend!|
What I did differently:
- Replace the 1/2 cup margarine with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- Replace the 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup Splenda/sugar blend (I found mine hellaciously on sale at our local Aldi, the most random grocery store ever. Seriously, you never know what you're gonna find there!)
- I also added some extra banana (like another 1/2 medium banana) just to reinforce the banana-ness and complete this super-official experiment (haha).
Kinda thought the difference in batter color would give me away.
|The upper loaf has the pumpkin/splenda mix. It was kinda orange-y.|
Oh! Don't forget to add a cinnamon/sugar/pecan dusting to the top. It sends this deliciousness right over the edge.
Now for the experiment! Cut your hubby/man/significant other/friend/neighbor/it-doesn't-really-matter-who a healthy
slices of each piece. If you're feeling fancy, milk makes a good palate cleanser! See what they have to say! Mine couldn't tell a difference, could yours??
|I think the bottom slice is from the pumpkin/splenda loaf...I think?? I've fooled myself!|