Friday, October 26, 2012

Have you had your half today?

Friends and neighbors, I've got a new addiction.  At least I think it's an addiction anyway.  Unlike most, it's actually pretty good for you besides the fact that your bones and muscles will likely hate you for days afterward.  My new addiction is the half-marathon.  The 13.1 mileage says "I'm more bad-ass than a 5K, yet way too sensible to run 26 flippin' miles."

Last weekend in St. Louis, one of my fabulous aunts and I tackled (and dominated!) our first ever half-marathon.  The Rock 'N' Roll Marathon Series was so much fun!  There where live bands every mile or so, and awesome people everywhere!  There where some pretty hilariously costumed teams (we're talking tutu's, firefighter garb, I Love the 70's, you name it!), and super encouraging people along the way.

This is definitely the before picture...no way in heck we where taking an after pic!!  

It was an absolutely gorgeous morning. 



The announcers called it "No excuses weather."  Luckily, my excuse was that I've never ran one of these things before.  The course wound through downtown St. Louis.  It may or may not have been the day after a Cardinals game, therefore the majority of town may or may not have been covered in red!  


Hello Busch Stadium!

While this was definitely one heck of a fun experience, I would be lying if I didn't say that one of my favorite parts was the end.  Talk about butt-kicking!  Every eligible runner was provided with complimentary Michelob Ultra at the finish line...my Busch Light taste buds didn't know what to do!  I definitely meant to take a pic of said beer, however my ass was too pooped to do anything other than park in front of this conveniently-located mobile bar and recover while waiting for my aunt to finish.  We are definitely related, cause she made a bee-line right for the same refreshing beverage station once she crossed the finish line!    





So the moral of the story is, even if you're intimidated or unsure of yourself, even if you know you don't want to run the whole thing, even if you know for sure you're going to walk the whole time...just try it.  You'll love the energy and enthusiasm (and free beer) at these half marathons and who knows, maybe you'll find yourself a new addiction too!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment